VSS Illustrator Interviews

In doing these interviews, we hope to give you a glimpse into our artist members' unique personalities, a new perspective on their wonderful work, and the opportunity to know what inspires them!

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Rebecca Gavney Driscoll


Becky is a talented watercolor artist and one of the founding members of the Visual Storytellers Studio. Her gorgeous paintings are filled with playful animals in outdoor settings. More of her art can be seen on her website 
www.rgavneydriscoll.com 
or her blog
 illustratingforchildren.blogspot.com
How did you get started in illustration? 
I have always known that I wanted to illustrate. I had my first solo art show when I was in 2nd grade and after that, I was hooked. 



What is your favorite medium? Can you describe your usual work process for us?  
I illustrate in watercolor and use some colored pencil and  6H pencil (for detail work). I usually do a base of watercolor first. When the base dries, I go over the image again with watercolor but this time I take my time and do more detail work. I let that dry and once it is, I do a lot of work in colored pencil (line work etc). This brings out some detail work I might not get with the watercolor. To top off any shading or any detail that might need to pop more, I add a 6h pencil to the work.



Do you write as well as illustrate your own stories? Which comes first for you?  
I don't normally write but I have written a story called Ducks in a Row. I mostly illustrate as I tell my stories through my art.
Do you illustrate full time or do you also have a day job?    
I illustrate full time.   



Where do you live? Could you describe your studio and include some photos? 
I live in the Midwest (Wisconsin). I love Wisconsin because it is a beautiful state. My studio is upstairs and I share it with my parrot, Rainbow.   
 


Tell us about your education and training. Did you learn more through school or your own experiences?  
I did go to college for my art degree but to tell you the truth, I have learned more with hands on experience and through great critique groups.  



Please list any of your publications and let us know your website.  
I have been published by greeting card, t-shirt, and rubberstamp companies and in magazines. To see a full list of my clients, you can go to my website, www.rgavneydriscoll.com 

Tell us about your current project.  
I just finished up my book dummy Ducks in a Row and I am also busy working on greeting cards for different companies.  



Who are your favorite children’s illustrators or authors?  
Beatrice Potter and I also like James Gurney who did Dinotopia. What a cool concept that was. I also like Marc Davis and Frank Thomas who illustrated Bambi and Thumper. Great work.

If you could be any children’s book character, who would you be and why?   
Not sure but I adore Bambi so I guess him but then Bambi is a male so maybe Faline.  :)   



What inspires you?  
Life and nature. Go out and just look around you. My goodness, look at a tree and study the bark. It is just fascinating. You could really get into illustrating the bark of a tree.  Study the leaves of plants or if you just sit quietly in the woods, you would be amazed at what you see. Great stuff nature.

What did you want to be when you grew up?  
An Illustrator.



What do you like to do when you aren’t working?  
I like to exercise (I do yoga, weight training and of course cardio). I like to read and love movies. I am also a Trekkie.  


What job would you like to have if you weren’t an artist?  
A botanist. I love flowers and plants. I loved Botany class in college. It was so fun and interesting.  



Any advice you’d pass along to illustrators just getting started?  
I would say draw something every day. That doesn't mean you have to buckle down and sit at your drafting board or table but just draw. Doodle, come up with some concepts that might grow into a great idea and illustration. Also, don't ever give up. If you do, you will be thinking to yourself, What if?

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE THE SWEET, LIVELY, DELICATE DETAILS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I am glad you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky - I meant to post this awhile ago, but, just wanted to pop in to say what fun it was to read your interview - very inspiring. Your work reminds me so much of Beatrix Potter and Tasha Tudor - love it! Happy Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky, how fun to see your surroundings!And your cute face of course. Thank you for your words and you are inspiring... Byee for now, Penny

    ReplyDelete